Monday, May 30, 2011

Caramel Stuffed Sugar Cookies


Well, the other day at work I was pretty bored (I didn't have much to work on that day) so I was browsing different recipe/food related blogs. Along the way somehow I happened upon this recipe for sugar cookies with Milk Duds in the middle. I like sugar cookies and the idea of caramel in the center sounded great, but normally I have to have frosting with them. I figured what the heck why not try them out? So I decided I would make them for the BBQ that Abel and I were going to on Monday. And when I say going to, I mean by walking up the stairs to Syd's house to eat with her, Nick, the boys, Nathan, and Liz. It was fun and the cookies are pretty dang good-- a good combination of sweet (but not too sweet) and chewy. I would recommend them the next time you want to put a twist in a sugar cookie. 
If you didn't follow the link above to the original source, I'll post the recipe here also.  



Chewy Caramel Stuffed Sugar Cookies
(Makes 3 dozen, adapted from the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion)

  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 box Milk Duds
  • 1/2 cup coarse raw sugar (when I made them I just used normal white granulated sugar)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 


Combine the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until all of the ingredients are evenly incorporated and the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg.

Gradually, add the flour to the creamed mixture, stirring just enough to incorporate the flour. Shape rounded tablespoons of dough into a ball, pressing a Milk Dud into the center of each ball. (Be sure to cover the Milk Dud completely with the sugar dough.)

Roll the ball in the raw sugar and place it on the prepared baking sheets. Be sure to space the cookies 2 – 3 inches apart.

Bake for 10 minutes. Let them cool on the pan for a few minutes and then remove.

0 comments:

Post a Comment